Drew County was formed in 1846 and named for Thomas S. Drew who served as Governor of Arkansas from November 1844 to 1849. Monticello is the county seat. The landscape of Drew County is rich, flat, delta farmland in the eastern half and rolling hills in the western half. Many of the settlers came from Virginia. The name of Monticello was adopted for the county seat and the first term of court was held in October 1850. Spanish, French, U.S., Confederate and Arkansas flags have flown over the territory in Drew County. A lot of history is preserved in the county. The Historical Museum, a 14-room mansion is maintained by the county historical society. Sixty of its buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places. The economic base for the county is the timber industry, manufacturing of boats, carpets, furniture, and by other service industries. A branch of the University of Arkansas is located in Monticello. Bayou Bartholomew, the longest bayou in the world, runs the length of the eastern side of the county. Hunting and fishing in the area offer several recreational activities.