Sharp County was formed in 1868, from a part of Lawrence County and was named for Ephraim Sharp who was a member of the State Legislature representing Lawrence, Randolph and Greene counties when the new county was formed. The landscape of the county is rolling hills in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains. Crystal River Cave opened for tours in the 1930's, and many people from eastern Arkansas built cabins along the Spring River, where the beauty of the foothills is all around. The Harold E. Alexander Wildlife Management Area has public land fronting the Spring River available for recreation and overnight use. Hunting is allowed in designated places. The economic base of the county is agriculture; cattle, broilers, hay, and watermelons, and some light manufacturing with tourism being number one. Part of the working people in the county commute to nearby Batesville. Cherokee Village, a long established resort-retirement community, is very active, as well as Hardy Old Town, which is located downtown and dates back to the early 1880's and features numerous quaint antique and gift shops. Hardy and Evening Shade served as the two courthouses until 1964 when the new courthouse was built in Ash Flat.