Logan County was created on March 22, 1871, from parts of Franklin, Scott, Johnson and Yell counties. The county was named to honor James Logan, a pioneer who was in both the territorial and first state legislatures. The county seat is Paris. The landscape of Logan County is rolling farmland, forested ridges, isolated mountains, and lakes. Logan County holds a wealth of natural and scenic beauty including the highest point in Arkansas, Mt. Magazine, which is 2,753 feet high. It rises from the Ozark National Forest where, on a clear day, you can see 40 miles. The mountain is also within the boundaries of the Mt. Magazine Wildlife Management Area. A part of the Ouachita National Forest extends into the county, making it one of only two counties in the state to include two national forests. Camping, hiking, picnicking, swimming, and many recreational activities are plentiful. Just north of the forest is Blue Mountain Lake, an impoundment on the Petit Jean River, with hunting in addition to water activities. Located in the county is Subiaco, a Benedictine abbey that was established in 1878 and thrives today as a monastery and academy for young men. The courthouse with its impressive columned porticoes on the front and sides with the octagonal clock tower, houses early history of the county.