The first store that is known to have opened in Searcy is the one of John Howerton and his Wife. They came to the site of todays Searcy back in 1836. Apart from managing the store, they also had a little inn. Soon after them came "Uncle Billy" Jones who opened a grocery store and M.M. Morris who operated the county's first steam mill and the towns second blacksmith shop.
Searcy got its name on November 23rd 1837 as it was appointed county seat.
Two creeks, Gin and Deener, empty out in Little Red River and this point got the name "Searcy Landing" after the first steamboat docked there in 1849. The very same year the first school opened in Searcy. It was called the"Polytechnic institute, Incorporated".
And, in 1851 Searcy got its own boot shop when W.B. Carter migrated from Virginia.
When Stephen Brundidge Sr came to Searcy he brought with him a brick-making machine. He used clay from the riverbank and started to build brick buildings, some of which still stands today. The first doctor to come to Searcy was James C. Holland and this was in 1853.
At the outbreak of the Civil war Searcy had a population of 700. Federal troops, 20,000 people, camped on just the other side of Little Red River at one point during the Civil War.
During World War II Searcy's population increased dramatically. From 3,670 in 1940 to over 5,000 in 1950