J.C. Holledger was the first settler to what would come to be Russellville. He builded a big house out of oak but lived there only for year before he sold it to Dr Thomas Russell and his family. Thru out the next seven years a small village started to grow around the Russell estate. In 1942 The villagers gathered and decided that the village needed a name. There was a long discussion whether the village should be named Shinnville or Russellville. It goes without saying which side won. Before the Civil War Russellville had gathered a company for the county militia but when the war broke out so many men volunteered to the army that it only left old men and young boys to serve in the county militia.
Russellville wasn't incorporated until 1870 and the very next year industry started to grow when the first flour mill was built and three years later the railroad was built thru the countryside
In 1888 Russellville was voted county seat.
A large part of the business district was destroyed in a big fire in 1906 but the resident of Russellville managed to built up the district again and in 1920 the population of Russellville was 5,000. In the 1930's Russellville got its very own airport and a courthouse was built at roughly the same time.
Today Russellville has a population of almost 30,000 and is known as "Heart of River Valley"