Miller County was created in April 1820, by the Territorial Legislature and abolished in 1838, to be recreated by the state General Assembly from a portion of Lafayette County in December 1874. It was named both times for James Miller, first Governor of Arkansas Territory. Texarkana is the county seat. Although Texarkana, Arkansas and Texarkana, Texas have separate governments under different states, they have always shared many commercial and cultural interests, which includes their Post Office where you can stand with one foot in Arkansas and the other in Texas. The Arkansas portion of the post office is constructed of native limestone and the Texas portion is constructed of granite. The county has a strong industrial community manufacturing area, along with the Red River Army Depot in Texarkana. The landscape of the county is rolling hills, largely forested. The Red River forms the northern and western boundaries and is a favorite place for fishing. Sulphur River Wildlife Management Area, 17,000 acres, provides excellent duck hunting which is a popular sport. The Miller County Courthouse with is stately building holds a great deal of early history of the county. The land on which the courthouse stands was sold to the county for a nominal consideration by the railroad on condition that it be used for a courthouse.