The City of Conway was founded by A. P. Robinson, who came to Conway shortly after the Civil War. Robinson was the
chief engineer for the Little Rock-Fort Smith Railroad (now the Union-Pacific). Part of his compensation was the deed
to a tract of land, one square mile, located near the old settlement of Cadron. When the railroad came through, Robinson
deeded a small tract of his land back to the railroad for a depot site. He laid off a town site around the depot and named
it Conway Station, in honor of a famous Arkansas family.
Conway was designated the county seat of Faulkner County in 1873, the same year that the county was created by the legislature.
In October, 1875, Conway was incorporated and, at that time, had a population of approximately 200.
For many years Conway flourished as a trade center for a large rural agricultural area. Hendrix College was established in
Conway in 1890. Three years later, in 1893, Central College for Girls was established, and Conway was on its way to becoming
an educational center. The University of Central Arkansas was founded in Conway in 1907 as the Arkansas Normal School. Its
economy was firmly established upon agriculture and the educational institutions until World War II.
After the war, diversification of the economy was started by Conway businessmen, and several small industries were attracted
to Conway. Subsequently, additional state institutions were located in Conway, including the headquarters for the Office of
Emergency Services, the Human Development Center, and the Arkansas Educational Television Network.