Blytheville was born in 1879 when Henry T. Blythe, Methodist minister, built a post office on the land where Blytheville stands today. In 1881 the minister started to sell land lots to settlers. Mississippi county had thousands of acres of trees back then and the demand for wood from the north was enormous after the great fire in Chicago in 1871. The city grew fast and was incorporated in 1889. According to records the city had a large and diverse population in 1890. As the forrest got more and more decimated the people of Blytheville started growing crops instead, cotton among others. Blytheville was a huge agricultural community until just 25 years ago when farming was mechanized and a lot of people lost their jobs. Instead there has been a growth in industry which is now a provider of employment for a big part of Blytheville's population of 18,000.
Blythe himself lived to be 88 years old, married five timed, was widowed five times, had nine children and was greatly powerful in Blytheville's economy, politics, school, church and court. He past away in 1903.