Bauxite is the raw material for aluminum and seeing that the little town in Saline county was the only place in the United States where it was worth while to mine Bauxite ore, the town was also named "Bauxite". It is also known as the Bauxite Capital of the world. The mining began in 1899 and the town was owned by the company Alcoa. Industry grew larger and larger every year until World War II, when Bauxite was producing 1 000 000 dry tons a year. The community produced 90% of the aluminum needed during the war for air supremacy. But after the war Bauxite no longer had any high Bauxite and the low grade wasn't economically profitable to process. After 1964 the mines and refining plants shut down and many of the buildings in the town were moved to other sites. All that is left of Bauxite today is the Community Center and the High School and the post office.