Earliest records indicate that the community of Ash Flat began in the mid- to late 1820's when this area of Arkansas was considered a territory. The area became a part of Lawrence County, the second county to be formed from the state of Arkansas. In 1868, Sharp County was formed from Lawrence County and named for Ephraim Sharp, a state legislator from Evening Shade.
With increases in population and trade, Ash Flat became a town when a new post office was built in 1856.
People in and around Ash Flat always placed education near the top on their list of priorities. The town built "The College" as its first high school in 1905.
Ash Flat became the county seat of Sharp County in 1967.