Randolph County was created on October 29, 1835, by the last Territorial Legislature from part of Lawrence County. Randolph County was named for John Randolph, a Virginia statesman who claimed to be a descendant of the famous Indian Princess Pocahontas. The county seat is Pocahontas. The landscape of the county is Ozark Mountain foothills with the rich, delta farmland in the extreme southeast. It is said that Randolph County stands with one foot in the hills and one in the rich soil of the delta. The economic base of the county is agricultural with soybeans and grains the principal crops in the delta and cattle ranching in the hill country. Small manufacturers have also added to the economy. Five rivers crisscross through the county, the Spring, Black, Current, Fourche, and Eleven Point that makes good fishing and water recreation. Old Davidsonville State Park features the site of Arkansas' first post office (1817), and first federal land office (1820), and first courthouse (1815). The Randolph County courthouse is Victorian, Italianate architecture and has a large aluminum seal of the State of Arkansas over the main entry door behind large square fluted concrete columns. The foyer, which runs across the front of the building, contains three large oil paintings depicting aspects of Arkansas history: one is of Indians, another of the Civil War, and the third, which shows road building, includes an old Studebaker wagon. This courthouse faces a sunken garden with benches, landscaped shrubs, and several lampposts for night illumination. Approached by means of imposing steps forty-eight feet wide, the garden dramatizes the view of the hill on which the original 1872 courthouse still stands.
Cities in Randolph CountyBiggers | Maynard | O'Kean | Pocahontas | Ravenden Springs | Reyno
Phone: (870) 892-5264
Web Site: Web Site
State Online Services