• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Flickr
  • YouTube
Search Again » Arkansas County Home » Almyra Home

Almyra

Almyra was founded in 1890 and was named in honor of Mrs. Almyra D. Sayer who was the sister to J.I. Porter who was one of the owners of the land where Almyra is now located. The other two owners were Mr. Hume and Mr Martin Baker. Baker served as sheriff of Almyra for three terms in the beginning of the 20th century.
1891 was a big year for Almyra. This was the year the Stutgart and Arkansas River Railroad came to Almyra. The first station agent's name was George Place. Almyra's first store was opened in 1891 and run by C.M. Hillman in the same building that housed the first residents of Almyra, Mr and Mrs George Place. The building still stands today. Later in the year of 1891 Almyra got a post office, also run by C.M. Hillman.
The next home to be built was for Mr and Mrs Randall. More families moved to Almyra and soon a Sunday school was started in an empty two room house. In 1901 a methodist church was built. And soon thereafter a baptist church was built as well.
A high school was built but it when as they were merged together with DeWitt school district it was used as a elementary school instead.
Almyra is, just like it was when it was founded, a small farming community with a population of about 250.

City Officials

Position Name
Mayor Mark Bennett
Recorder/treasurer April Herring
City Attorney Christina Boyd
Police Chief Danny Roush
Fire Chief Jimmy Moss
Director Of Public Works Amy Haller
Council Member Vicky Price
Council Member Connie Price
Council Member Charles Rodgers
Council Member Heath Williams

City Facts

County: Arkansas

Population: 283

Senate District: 28

House District: 13

Congressional District: 1

Classification: Incorporated Town

Contact Information

Address:
P.O. Box 189
ALMYRA, AR 72003

Phone: (870) 673-1591

Fax: (870) 673-2990

Meetings:
Second Monday

Email: mark.bennett@layne.com

Online Services

State Online Services

Contact Us
Arkansas Municipal League
Our Mission

The Arkansas Municipal League was founded in 1934 and exists for a threefold purpose:

  • to act as the official representative of Arkansas cities and towns before the state and federal governments;
  • to provide a clearinghouse for information and answers; and,
  • to offer a forum for discussion and sharing of mutual concerns.